Pages

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Work-life balance


There’s been some talk on the internet about work-life balance by ProfLikeSubstance, Dr. O  and DrugMonkey inspired by some of the ridiculousness over at the ecology ListServ. It made me think about what a weird term work-life balance is; like there’s your work, and then there’s your life. In my case, that would currently make a pretty sad life, because that would mean that aside from work and (attempts to) sleep, there’s only a couple of hours of ‘life’ left each day. And a large proportion of those hours is used to care for BlueEyes. Good thing I see my work as ‘life’ too.

I try to remind myself every now and then that if all of this science stuff fails (which it sometimes surely feels like), I don’t want to have the feeling that I’ve wasted all of my time (that I could have spent with BlueEyes) doing things that I don’t like. And also if I do get tenure and become the awesome scientist that I want to be I don’t want to look back and realize that I’ve spent years working so hard that I don’t enjoy it anymore. So I try to be efficient, and I spend a lot of time trying to get enough sleep so I that I’m not terribly annoyed by things that happen at work.
 

Today that’s going pretty well, and that’s why I’m going to keep my happiness by not even starting to say what I think about all the things being said on the ecology ListServ. Okay maybe one thing: seriously?

No comments:

Post a Comment