Pages

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Dealing with HR, a rant



<rant> Apparently, to become a post-doc 2.0 A LOT of HR stuff needs to happen. I need to get background-checked and they need to see proof of my education. And that’s where it becomes annoying. Because my graduate university, like many other European universities, issues PhD diplomas in Latin. Yup indeed: Latin, the language of science. And since we don’t do any classes for our PhD I don’t have a list of grades. Which means I can’t give you a list of grades, BECAUSE THERE IS NONE. And no, I can’t have an official transcript of my diploma here tomorrow, because it has to come from Europe, and Europe is already closed at this hour. So no, I don’t know when it is going to be here yet, because I can’t call and ask, because Europe is closed for today. Am I really the first non-US person to go through this process here? I find it hard to believe that. </rant>

2 comments:

  1. Nope, you're not the first person to deal with it but it will be as always .... time consuming. (nerve wrecking? Frustrating?)

    For the fourth time of my life I had to ask my university back home to "get official copies and translations" of my degrees together with the courses that I did for my undergraduate degree and send them all to the third-party verifyer that will ensure that indeed my diploma/degree is acceptable by US standards. I can't send them myself, the 'original copies verfied by a notary' that I tresure since it needs to come from the official university with signatures on the outside of the envelope.....

    Time? Only about 3 weeks I hope since I'm in a crunch but I'm not holding my breath.

    I personally love the "original diploma in English" requirement that I had to explain for x times that since we don't do English as native/official language the original diplomas as in .... Swedish. *shocker*

    I guess I just want to tell you that I feel your venting need ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's messed up because there are US universities that also award diplomas in Latin.

    ReplyDelete